Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

8 week old puppy (we've had m days) seems lethargic today

Customer Question

8 week old puppy (we've had him for 3 days) seems lethargic today and showing some signs of poor appetite. Drinking a lot of water, was pooping a lot (10 times/day) over the weekend, but going about 4-5 times today. Panting occasionally. A lot can be explained, but was still a little worried about him - especially the lethargy and appetite loss.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Recent trip to mountains on Sunday for just a day, starting acting just a little funny on the way home. We've tried to curb his access to other dogs, but we live in a place where there are a ton so just going outside there is a lot of droppings, and other dogs.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Have his stools been loose or diarrhea?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Can he keep that water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?