Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog may have eaten any or all of these 3 things, small

Customer Question

my dog may have eaten any or all of these 3 things, small amount of milk chocolate, rat poison, dove soap. I know that sounds terrible and he keeps huffing for air, I'm scared, is he going to be okay.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long since he ate these?

2- How many ounces of milk chocolate did he eat?

3- How much does he weigh?

4- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

5- Do you know the name of the rat poison or active ingredient?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he may have eaten all of these in the past 4 days. He tried to swallow one block of a hershey's but wound up throwing it up, then he came in to the room holding a rat trap and we are not sure whether or not he swallowed any of the poison, and he may have eaten a small piece of dove hand soap in the bathroom. He keeps huffing to breath he, he weighs roughly 15 pounds and is a shih-tzu

1-- How long has he been having problems breathing?

2- How old is he?

3- Any pre existing medical conditions?

4- What is the name of the rat poison?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't know the name of the rat poison we bought it a long time ago. He is 11 months old, he has no existing medical conditions that I know of. He has been huffing like this off and on for almost an hour

Friend, after 4 days the main concern is the rat poison at this point. Common ingredients in rat poison are anticoagulants meaning that they cause toxicity by interfering with coagulation. Or, there could a completely different problem unrelated to the poison. Unfortunately there is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home that would have a significant therapeutic benefit in this case. I would strongly recommend having him checked by nearest ER veterinarian, do not wait. If this is related to the rat poison it could be fatal if is not treated promptly. I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter