Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My dog has hot spots through out s body, He's a 9 year old

Customer Question

My dog has hot spots through out his body
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: He's a 9 year old Chocolate Lab named Hazesin
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Hussein?
Customer: I've taken him to the Vet twice for the same problem. He gets better for a while, but then
it happens again
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

"Hot spots" are technically a pyotraumatic dermatitis; in other words, my patient excoriates and ulcerates his skin to the point that secondary infection arises as evidenced by pus on the damaged skin. The underlying problem is usually an allergic dermatitis and so the allergy needs to be identified and treated if we're going to be able to control hot spot formation. Because you've mentioned that these are throughout his body, I suspect that they're not hot spots but, instead, a generalized pyoderma (bacterial skin infection)and that that infection hasn't been treated long enough which then results in the recrudescences (relapses without cure in between events) you're seeing.

Can you upload a photo(s) of representative skin to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if you can see that icon) or you can use an external app such as

I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I added the pictures as a file. One of the spots is on his tail the other is on his hind leg, but he bites his paws, legs, and the inner hind leg area.

Thank you for the pics! Hazesin appears to suffer from a superficial spreading pyoderma - a Staph infection, usually - that should be addressed with a prescription antibiotic in the cephalosporin class such as cephalexin for 3-4 weeks and 1 week past clinical signs. Bathing him twice weekly in an over the counter shampoo containing either chlorhexidine or benzoyl peroxide should hasten remission. His chewing his extremities suggests both atopy (allergies to environmental allergens such as pollens, molds, dust, and dust mites) and food intolerance. Please speak to his vet about prescribing the new cytokine antagonist oclacitinib as well as the antibiotic. Oclacitinib should reduce the inflammation and thus pruritis (itchiness) associated with an allergic dermatitis. A glucocorticosteroid such as prednisone will do so as well but oclacitinib doesn't have the adverse effects of a steroid such as making it very difficult to resolve a skin infection, increased thirst, urination, and appetite, muscle weakness, and panting.

You can also investigate if a food intolerance is present. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that Hazesin's immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from his vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference because it avoids the possibility of my patient being intolerant to even a novel protein). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after my patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

Feel free to share our conversation with Hazesin's vet and please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?