Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

Our dog ate some fels naphtha. He is a 4yr old boxer, weighs

Customer Question

Our dog ate some fels naphtha. He is a 4yr old boxer, weighs 62 lbs.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Toby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Toby?
Customer: Not really. He's healthy.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of veterinary experience. I am sorry to hear that Toby has eaten some Fels Naphtha soap

All soaps and detergents are gastrointestinal irritants and can lead to drooling, vomiting and diarrhea with a loss of appetite. We do not recommend inducing vomiting in cases of possible ingestion as that only leads to further irritation of the esophagus.

At this point you just need to watch Toby for any symptoms.

If he starts to drool or vomit we can do some things at home to ease his stomach and intestinal irritation.

To try and settle his stomach you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.

2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tablet per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help settle his stomach. These can be used for several days as necessary as they are quite safe.

Then feed a homemade diet of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice. Add 2 to 4 tablespoons of canned pumpkin, not pie filling, just pumpkin, to each meal for fiber if he has any mucousy diarrhea. Feed small meals several times a day.

Once he's feeling better then start mixing in his regular food, adding a little more regular and less bland at each meal. It should take a week to get him converted back to regular food.

If he starts vomiting and continues vomiting, even after the acid reducing medication is given, refuses to eat or has explosive diarrhea it is best he see a veterinarian for an examination, injectable medications and oral medication like sucralfate to coat his gastrointestinal system.

But if he shows no symptoms there is no need for you to do anything.

Let me know if you have any questions.