PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My 6yr oll female, got fallen on, by my son who is 280lbs,

Customer Question

Hi, my 6yr oll female ***** *****, got fallen on, by my son who is 280lbs, on fridayniight, she is not waling on rear right leg.have seen her scratch herself, put it down for a very short time. i have massage and apply to pressure to leg and she doesnt yelp, or cry. maybe sprain leg.or hip. money is tight,and if ave to take to vet, maybe to much for me. please help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hi, Victoria. I'm sorry to hear that your girl sustained this injury.

We can try some aspirin at home to see if this helps with discomfort (this may be why she's not walking on it, even if she doesn't vocalize), but if she has fractured the leg or a ligament has been damaged she's likely going to need to see a vet.

You can find this dosage here: http://www.veterinaryplace.com/dog-medicine/aspirin-for-dogs/

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No really, cause your telling me she needs to see a vet, and you without seeing her, are just guessing,so I paid 19 dollars for you to tell me take her to the vet.

Above you'll find the information included to try aspirin at home to see if this helps her. However, if you know that this is not going to work or it hasn't, she's going to need to see a vet.

Unfortunately, there are simply some injuries that we cannot treat at home. I can't tell you if this is one of them or not. I can, however, tell you that aspirin often helps dogs to feel better after an injury and they go back to being normal. It will depend on what type of injury this is.

Has she already been given aspirin?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
baby aspirin and rub arnica on leg

How much does your girl weigh?

Has it only been a single baby aspirin that's been given each day?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Twice a day and she weighs 15lbs

The milligram is correct for a dog her size, as well as the frequency. If my math is correct, you've attempted this for 3-4 days now, which should show some improvements.

If she's not already been given cage rest, you can also try this, as well as alternating cool and hot packs for 30 minutes every 4-6 hours. If this does not help, I fear that there is something wrong that is not going to be fixed with the aspirin and arnica alone. Again, there are some injuries must be examined by a vet.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Okay, so when should I take her to a vet, if not improving? Cause unfortunately I can't pay what a vet will cost me, if there going to tell me a sprain will take time, like in an human case .they put in wrap and can't use for awhile

Sorry for the delay.

She should have made improvements by now if she was going to. A sprain should have shown improvements on the aspirin by now. A muscle injury in dogs is not like that of humans, we treat them with NSAIDs but we don't wrap the wounded limb. The information above about kennel rest and heat/cool packs is what we would do to address a muscle injury.

I would wait no longer than the end of this week to have her examined if you're not seeing improvements.