Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 6 month old GSP puppy ate some tinfoil with fish residue

Customer Question

My 6 month old GSP puppy ate some tinfoil with fish residue on it about 36 hrs ago. Yesterday he acted normally. Today he committed up his breakfast and has had watery stools. What should I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Riley and he weighs about 47#
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Riley?
Customer: About 3 weeks ago he ate a piece of landscape twine and committed for a week until he finally passed it. He has been fine since. Durring that episode we had numerous tests totally about $3.000. We told him he ate a very expensive piece of twine. The vet never did dx the issue. It was apparent after he pooped it out and immediately got better.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. If you want to get this resolved quickest, I would get him up to your vet for an anti-nausea injection and start metronidazole for the diarrhea. If it was just related to eating the tinfoil and fish, that should resolve it. If he has only vomited the once, you can try withholding food for 24 hours then start on boneless, skinless chicken breast and rice, but he may still have a lot of diarrhea. That is why I would just see about getting him on medication early. If he has vomited multiple times, though, I would just get him seen by your vet. Watery stool and multiple episodes of vomiting just lead to dehydration and worsening of signs. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 3 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. John