Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dogs ate about 30 of my prenatal vitamins... The male is

Customer Question

My dogs ate about 30 of my prenatal vitamins...
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: The male is Maximus he is about 8 months and 95 pounds. Female is in heat and same age but about 84 pounds.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Maximus?
Customer: Nope
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: K
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has it been since they ate the vitamins?

2- Can you list the ingredients with milligrams in each tablet?

3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It's been about an hour, and yes I have hydrogen peroxide. Or I can get it within three minutes. They chewed up the bottle so I can't read the label
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
They were gel caps and the pills that are left are punctured and leaking, so they ingested some of the raw liquid too...

Do you know the name of the vitamins so that I can look it up online?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
It seems as though snuggles probably ate more than max. I don't remember the name but I'm trying to find it now. Snuggles is in her first heat cycle. Does that affect how her system will react to whatever she ate any differently than her brother?

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, it is not going to affect her differently because she is in heat.

Not knowing the exact ingredients in the vitamin will not allow me to calculate a toxic dose for your dogs. However, in my experience the amount of vitamin in prenatal vitamins are not in sufficient amount to pose a life threatening condition in large dogs. However, I would recommend to try to induce vomiting with peroxide. This is what you do:

1- Give them each 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally to induce vomiting. You can mix the peroxide with 1 tablespoon of milk, they may drink it on their own with some milk.

2- Allow them to walk for a minute and move their belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If they do not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If they do not vomit with peroxide I would have them checked by nearest veterinarian and they can induce vomiting with apomorphine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Hi Lexy,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter