Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I noticed this afternoon blood in stool, now he has weakness

Customer Question

I noticed this afternoon blood in stool, now he has weakness in his back legs and seems in pain when i try to pick him up
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Nothing visible
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jasper 5yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasper?
Customer: Its my dads dog. Theyre on holidays so i dont really know his medical background
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

How much blood did you see? A spoonful, more or less?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His legs are fine this morning. I think the blood is from a bone. He triied to go to the toilet this morning but nothing happened.
Not much blood..gums fine.. no tenderness now.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Have you got any advice?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Good morning,

My apologies that we appear to be playing time zone tag.

Anyway, if you think a bone was involved, then we need to be careful. Its good that he is feeling less painful today, but we need to make sure that bone passes without further damage (or perforation) of the gut. Therefore, do plan to start him on small meals of bland food (ie cooked rice with boiled chicken/white fish or scrambled egg) for the next few days. Whichever you choose, you consider adding a spoonful of canned pumpkin to the meals. The fiber in the pumpkin will encourage any material to move through the GI. As well, cat hairball treatment or a GI lubricant (ie Latulose, Miralax, food grade mineral oil) can also be added to these meals to help it slip through.

While encouraging passage of this material, you do want to keep a close eye on him. Specifically, we need to keep an eye out for any belly tenderness or pain when you press on his stomach, pale gums, straining to pass feces, anymore blood in vomit or stools, appetite loss, restlessness, or black feces. If you did see any of these; then those are all red flags of a possible blockage or trauma and would require him to be seen urgently by your vet for an exam +/- xray.

Overall, we do always have to tread with care in situations like this. So, at this stage and in this situation, we’d want to use the above steps to encourage this to pass while we keep a close eye on him. If we can do this for the next 48 hours and see no issue, then we'd suspect we are out of the woods. Of course, if we did see any of those worrying signs, we’d be concerned and need him seen urgently.

All the best,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?