Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Ever since my parents have left my dog has became skinny and

Customer Question

ever since my parents have left my dog has became skinny and hasn't eaten. What can I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
According to the dogs tags it is three years old
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has she been left?

Does she seem to want to eat but cannot? Or is she depressed and appear to be pining for them?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It has been eating but very little :( She cried the day my mother / father left and seems to be depressed as well.She hasn't been gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomitingHer gums are paleShe doesn't have discomfort, tenderness, or tensing but you can feel the bonesI don't think she ate something she shouldn't have
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Would you say paler then usual for her? Any breathing changes?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

How long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I wouldn't say they're paler than usual
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm unable to see changes in breathing
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This has been going on for about three days
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you,

Now we can see them refuse to eat in times of stress/depression; but we'd not expect this to continue to a point where she was to lose weight. Furthermore, her being upset with their leaving would not explain her pale gums. Therefore, while I am glad she hasn't any of those other signs, I'd be concerned that this is more then her pining for them. And if we have pale gums without breath

Thank you,

Now we can see them refuse to eat in times of stress/depression; but we'd not expect this to continue to a point where she was to lose weight. Furthermore, her being upset with their leaving would not explain her pale gums. Therefore, while I am glad she hasn't any of those other signs, I'd be concerned that this is more then her pining for them. And if we have pale gums without breathing changes, this raises concerns of heart issues but also anemia (low red blood cell levels).

With that in mind, we'd want to consider having her checked by her local vet so these 2 issues can be looked into. Either issue would be something we’d want to pinpoint and address quickly before she can develop further signs or collapse.

Though in the meantime, we do need to try to get her eating. We'd want to tempt with favorites or even consider syringe feeding to break her fast. To do so, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in. And that way we can halt her losses and get some weight back onto her while looking into that worrying paling and weight loss just too severe and suspicious for three days of being upset.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )

ing changes, this raises concerns of heart issues but also anemia (low red blood cell levels).

With that in mind, we'd want to consider having her checked by her local vet so these 2 issues can be looked into. Otherwise, in the meantime, we do need to try to get her eating. We'd want to tempt with favorites or even consider syringe feeding to break her fast. To do so, we can water down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D, Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I meant to say that her gums are pink
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I haven't been sleeping much as this has been scaring me and I'm scared she could die
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

No worries, it seems the computer is a wee bit sleep deprived as well (since it has doubled one of my paragraphs :P)

Anyway, I am glad to hear they are pink, since that did raise real worries. If they are, then we can both breathe a sigh of relief but I would still suggest trying those high calorie foods +/- syringe feeding them if she isn't keen. Because again we do see pining lead to appetite loss, but if she is losing enough weight you can see her bones, that raises concerns that there is more afoot and we may need to consider a check up if the above doesn't get her eating and putting weight back on for us.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do have one question and that's what do you recommend for preventing the spreading of ticks in dogs