Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My dog Lexi is 7 years old and diabetic. She acquired

Customer Question

Hi dr. My dog Lexi is 7 years old and diabetic. She acquired diabetes due to steroids for a herniated disc. For the past week or so I notice that Lexus energy during the day is quite high and EVERY night she sits and pants and refuses to lay down. She seems so out of it. I noticed last night she seemed to be swaying. And tonight sitting up again I thought she was swaying but then thought maybe it was her breathing that made her appear to be swaying. She has always been a pantter however her look scares me something doesn't seem right :(
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Couples Tower Isle
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can someone please help
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has she been a diabetic? Is she stable?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

Has she had any weakness? Any belly pain if you press?

Did her vet do any other tests besides confirming the diabetes with general bloods?

Does she appear to have a pot belly? Any hair loss or is her hair slow to regrow when cut?

Would you say she is breathing quicker then 30 breaths in a minute?