Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

My nine week old puppy was chewing a hair comb. there are

Customer Question

my nine week old puppy was chewing a hair comb. there are teeth missing and it is a hard plastic. I am not sure she swallowed them but I suspect she got at least one of two of the pieces. She weighs about 16 pounds standard poodle.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the standard poodle will be able to digest that. What is the standard poodle's name?
Customer: Ruby
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ruby?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 3 months ago.

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. This is a situation where there are unknowns here, but overall I wouldn't be that worried. Those missing teeth from the comb, they are not really that sharp and big of foreign material in the grand scheme of things. There is a chance none were actually swallowed as they were broken off with chewing and then lost somewhere. If they were eaten, they could just pass benignly through the intestinal tract. These little one's are known for getting into things and I've seen similar situations where things like rocks, hair pins, paper clips, etc... were eaten and then pass through benignly. Watching for any vomiting, loss of appetite for over 24 hours or abdominal discomfort would be possible signs of an issue. I wouldn't be overly worried about this.