Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Have been giving my dog 150mg tramadol once to twice a day

Customer Question

Have been giving my dog 150mg tramadol once to twice a day for two years for progressing lymphedema and now she's refusing to take her pills. She's also on three hundred mg gabapentin bid and won't take these now. What kind of withdrawal am I looking at if I can't get her to take them. She's a lab/ pit mix with a very strong jaw and I now have punctures from trying to push them to the back of her throat to swallow, which I hate doing.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jade. She's 12 1/2 years old. I think she's trying to tell me she's done with all this
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Jade?
Customer: She's never not taken her pills before. Back right leg at least twice ++ the size of the other. I just don't want her to have withdrawals from not taking the tramadol
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Now I share your concern that Jade is telling us that it is time and that we do need to consider making that difficult decision if she is having more bad days then good.

Though in regards ***** ***** question, neither drug would have a withdrawal period, so there is no worries there. Though just to note, you can crush these (or open them if you have the capsule formulation) to mix with water and syringe into her. If you need to do that, you don’t even need to open her teeth, just use a syringe/eye dropper/turkey baster to slip back between her cheek and the teeth to administer.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet