Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

He won't eat or drink i 't know if it's because he was

Customer Question

He won't eat or drink i don't know if it's because he was eating human food at the beach with beach sand. But he threw up water or liquid.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No just chicken
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Oso he's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oso?
Customer: Well my other dog Charlie had
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: Charlie had been missing for a week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I don't think that's the reason . And i know it's 4 th of July. But i know something is wrong with him because he won't eat or drink
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me:

How long has he had these signs?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Did you see sand in his vomit?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He just starts throwing upmore
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hi again,

If you are able to check his gums and belly as I requested above, that would be lovely. As well, if you can tell me what the vomit looks like just now (anymore sand?) that too would be helpful.

Otherwise, Oso's current signs are likely related to the sand he ate. As I am sure you can appreciate, this is quite abrasive and could severely erode and inflame the gut. As well, if the chicken (especially if it was fatty or had sauce/oil on it) isn't something he is used to, then we could also see a pancreatitis if he has overindulged.

Still, with this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. You can also add some canned pumpkin to this to just help coat the sand and reduce its abrasive effects on the gut. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE ( If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, we do have a few concerns for his current signs. Still, if his signs are mild, then you can try the above to reduce his nausea and help get this bit of sand out of his gut. Of course, if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can start him on injectable anti-vomiting medication gastroprotectants, gut safe pain relief, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?