Dr Chris
Dr Chris, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Registered General Practioner

My parents Airedale put s mouth over our pocket beagle's

Customer Question

My parents Airedale put his mouth over our pocket beagle's head. We found a few pictures spots that bled a bit but there was four of us there to stop it. His neck is now swollen and he yipes when we touch or put ice on it. He's resting and we will take him in tomorrow. How do we know we need to take him in today?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the beagle's name and age?
Customer: Bruce and he's 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Bruce?
Customer: He has seizures, he just lost his best friend, and he started the fight with the Airedale. He seemed fine earlier. His rolls of skin are now are filling with his swelling.
JA: Seizures always look scary. Let's get you talking to the Veterinarian. OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 3 months ago.

Hi there. My name is***** to hear that Bruce is unwell. I will do my best to help with your question. First I have a few questions to help me better understand your situation.

How long ago did the fight occur?
How long did it take for the swelling to occur?
Is the swelling warm to touch? Soft and springy or more firm?
Does Bruce appear in pain or distress?

If you have a photo of Bruce, you can attach it from your computer using the paperclip button on your screen here.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I wrote you just after it happened. His neck was spongy. I had someone look at him. The swelling is down today and he is much better. We will be watching for infection. Is there anything you can add. He's smiling and he's so wonderful I want to keep him smiling.
Expert:  Dr Chris replied 3 months ago.

I'm glad Bruce is doing better. I was concerned when you described such a rapidly developed swelling, that he may have had air trapped under his skin from a torn windpipe. These can feel spongy and sometimes even can crackle like bubble-wrap.

​Definitely goof that the swelling has gone down though. He would probably benefit from a course of antibiotics if he still has significant bite wounds because dog mouths can carry all sorts of bacteria.

Expert:  Dr Chris replied 3 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr Chris