Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

13 year old lab mix, female, spayed, blind and terrified of

Customer Question

13 year old lab mix, female, spayed, blind and terrified of fireworks. Have valium on hand that was prescribed for me. Since its so late in the day and a holiday, cannot contact vet. How much valium (mg) should I give the dog?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: please see above statement
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: dog does not hurt...she is terrified of fireworks. Would like to give her valium I have on hand. How much should I give her? She is 60 pounds, blind and 13 years old, lab mix.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the dog?
Customer: Diabetic, insulin dependent for several years now. Has had valium before and tolerated it very well.
JA: I'm sorry the dog has that. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Best
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Tammie,

Sorry to hear your dog is stressed, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. When you use valium { diazepam } in the dog there is a range of dose rates depending whether you want just very light or deeper sedation this would between 0.12 and 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally once a day. With an older dog like yours it would be best to try a lower dose first.

2. Where I supply clients with information on drugs or dose rates I always try and supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the information I have given and read more on the subject : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Tammie,

I am just checking back in to see how your dog is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the use of valium in dogs ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hi Tammie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?