How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Rebekah Kane Your Own Question
Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 264
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Rebekah Kane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Our French dog ate raisin erred. What should we do?

Customer Question

Our French bull dog ate raisin erred. What should we do?
Submitted: 5 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an idea like how many raisins were in the piece of bread she ate?

2- How much does Rivi weigh?

3- How long since she ate it?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She weighs 17 lbs. she ate a small box of raisinettes, covered in chocolate. She last are at 5:30 pm, 4 hours ago.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

1- How many ounces was the box?

2- Any symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She seems ok, she was playing with another dog pretty hard. The concern is she ate chocolate.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Raisins are toxic to dogs as well, if you tell me the amount in ounces she ate of both the chocolate and raisins so that I can calculate a toxic dose.

What type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
4ounces, milk chocolate
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

4 ounces of chocolate or raisins?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The were chocolate covered raisins. We are not sure how much she ate and how much the other dog ate.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Friend, I am going to opt out so another expert can help you. I am sorry, I can not provide an answer with the information provided.

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there- I am Dr. Kane, and I can continue to try and help you out here with Rivi. How is she doing? Any abnormal symptoms at this time?

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Sorry- I just noticed you already stated to Dr. Peter that she seems fine. Fortunately, the amount of chocolate in the raisinettes is unlikely to cause a problem for her. I am more worried about the raisins. The toxic dose is anywhere between 0.18 to 0.48 oz/lb. Rivi ate 4 oz of raisinettes. The majority of of that 4 oz is raisin, with a smaller amount of chocolate. So let's assume the weight of the raisins is somewhere between 3 to 3.75 oz. The toxic dose for a dog of Rivi's weight is 3.06 to 8.16 oz. Therefore, she is right on the cusp of this potentially being a toxic amount for her. Since it has been 4 hours already, it is too late to induce vomiting. My recommendation is to take her to the nearest ER, where they can administer activated charcoal, to counteract the potentially toxic compounds in the raisins. They may also recommend keeping her for 24-48 hours on IV fluids. The toxic compounds in grapes can lead to kidney failure, and this can be fatal.

Has this helped? Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

How did everything turn out for Rivi?

Related Dog Veterinary Questions