Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian
94503255

Our French dog ate raisin erred. What should we do?

Customer Question

Our French bull dog ate raisin erred. What should we do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Can you give me an idea like how many raisins were in the piece of bread she ate?

2- How much does Rivi weigh?

3- How long since she ate it?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She weighs 17 lbs. she ate a small box of raisinettes, covered in chocolate. She last are at 5:30 pm, 4 hours ago.

1- How many ounces was the box?

2- Any symptoms?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She seems ok, she was playing with another dog pretty hard. The concern is she ate chocolate.

Raisins are toxic to dogs as well, if you tell me the amount in ounces she ate of both the chocolate and raisins so that I can calculate a toxic dose.

What type of chocolate (dark, milk, etc.)?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
4ounces, milk chocolate

4 ounces of chocolate or raisins?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The were chocolate covered raisins. We are not sure how much she ate and how much the other dog ate.

Friend, I am going to opt out so another expert can help you. I am sorry, I can not provide an answer with the information provided.

Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 5 months ago.

Hi there- I am Dr. Kane, and I can continue to try and help you out here with Rivi. How is she doing? Any abnormal symptoms at this time?

Sorry- I just noticed you already stated to Dr. Peter that she seems fine. Fortunately, the amount of chocolate in the raisinettes is unlikely to cause a problem for her. I am more worried about the raisins. The toxic dose is anywhere between 0.18 to 0.48 oz/lb. Rivi ate 4 oz of raisinettes. The majority of of that 4 oz is raisin, with a smaller amount of chocolate. So let's assume the weight of the raisins is somewhere between 3 to 3.75 oz. The toxic dose for a dog of Rivi's weight is 3.06 to 8.16 oz. Therefore, she is right on the cusp of this potentially being a toxic amount for her. Since it has been 4 hours already, it is too late to induce vomiting. My recommendation is to take her to the nearest ER, where they can administer activated charcoal, to counteract the potentially toxic compounds in the raisins. They may also recommend keeping her for 24-48 hours on IV fluids. The toxic compounds in grapes can lead to kidney failure, and this can be fatal.

Has this helped? Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen. Thank you!

How did everything turn out for Rivi?