Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog is shivering and ding because of the fireworks. Can

Customer Question

My dog is shivering and hiding because of the fireworks. Can you give him anything for that.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Harley around 5 years old
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Harley?
Customer: the dogs name is ***** ***** he is 5 years old
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear Harley is stressed, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Well of course there are a range of prescription drugs such as valium or acepromazine which vets can give for dogs which are stressed for fireworks, I suspect it now too late in the day for you to arrange this right now, but you may consider this for future use.

2. in the meantime in terms of over the counter human drugs you do have one option this being Benadryl which does have sedative properties in the dog. A typical dose rate would be 1 mg per pound of your dog's bodyweight given orally twice a day.

3. Where I give clients information about drugs or dose rates I like to supply a link so that they can check the accuracy of the advice I have given and read contraindications etc. : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.