Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

Tonight I noticed l lump on my 9 year old min pin that I

Customer Question

Tonight I noticed l lump on my 9 year old min pin that I haven't noticed tonight. It is on her chest near her rib cage. She doesn't seem to be in any pain and is eating regularly also
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is the lump below or above the skin?

2- How big is it?

3- Is it bothering her?

4- Does it move with the skin?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi thank you for helping me! I have been a nervous wreck since I found it! It is below the skin, it's almost like an oval shape and if she wasn't rolling on her stomach I probably wouldn't have noticed it. it doesn't seem to be bothering her at all. She has been running around playing, eating and drinking normally and Going to the bathroom normally. I didn't want to touch it too much but it is not hard at all. I'm not sure if it matters or not but she's does have allergy problems in the summer time. I didn't know if I should take her to the emergency vet in my area or If it would be ok if I called the vet first thing in the morning to get her in.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, there are many different types of growth that occur below the skin in dogs. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: A lipoma (fatty tumor), inflammation, a cyst, etc. This is Not an emergency, it can wait to see family veterinarian during a regular appointment. To determine the exact nature of the lump I would recommend you speak to your family veterinarian about doing an FNA (fine needle aspirate); this is a very quick test where your vet will collect a sample of the cells with a needle. Requires no anesthesia, inexpensive when compared to a biopsy and can be done within minutes during an office examination. Your vet will most likely submit sample to a lab to be evaluated under the microscope for a definitive diagnosis. The decision of benign neglect or complete surgical removal should be made based on FNA results.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.