Rebekah Kane
Rebekah Kane, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  small animal veterinarian

He is a 2 year old shorthair and swallowed a bass (large )

Customer Question

He is a 2 year old shorthair and swallowed a bass (large ) fish hook with bacon as bait. She I panic
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie. We are in the woods and the vet won't be able to see him till tomorrow.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebekah Kane replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, I am Dr. Kane, and I will do my best to assist you with your pet today. Please give me a moment to type up a response to your concerns. In the meantime- please take a moment to relay any other pertinent information. Sound good?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am sorry I said he is 2 actually mistype he is 5

Hi there- I am so sorry to hear you and Charlie are in this tough predicament. How long ago did he eat it? How much does he weigh? Is he acting abnormal in any way?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
About 20 minutes, 55 pounds and he is acting normal

When did he last eat his normal food?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He free feeds and he is eating his normal food now and we gave him a few pieces of bread.

In this type of situation, ideally he would go straight to his veterinarian for surgery to remove the fish hook, or better yet, straight to a specialty hospital that has endoscopy set-up (thin flexible camera), where he would be anesthetized, and the camera would be placed into his stomach though his mouth to see if the fish hook can be removed that way, avoiding surgery. However, endoscopy may not be available in your area. Are there any emergency veterinarians on call at night?

If not, the next best thing is to do what you have done already. Feed him (kibble mixed with water), and a total of 4-5 slices of thin sandwich bread. After he finishes, pick up the food and do not offer any more food. Water is OK. Take him to his veterinarian first thing tomorrow morning, and they will take an x-ray to see if the fish hook is still in the stomach or if it appears to be moving through. Check his bowel movements in the morning to see if it has already passed.

I hope it all turns out OK for him!!! Please let me know how everything turns out. I have done surgery twice for dogs with fish hooks in the stomach- and everything turned out OK, but they were brought right in after it happened. The food and bread will hopefully cushion the sharp point of the hook, so that it doesn't cause damage.

Do you have any other questions for me at this time?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will he be ok till morning? It will take me about 10 hours to do anything, we will leave now but I am scared

Do you mean you are 10 hours away from a vet hospital?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
to our home area. We may find one closer if we can hike out faster

Oh, I see. I didn't realize when you said you were in the woods that you were camping. Let me know what the closest town/city is, and I can do a search for you if you like. Chances are he will be just fine, but he may need surgery to get it out safely. The stomach wall is very thick, so it is unlikely to cause a problem until it tries to exit the stomach. There is a chance that if the hook is big enough, it won't be able to exit the stomach. If it does, I worry about it puncturing the intestine, which is much thinner walled. You are in a tough situation, but doing everything you can right now to help him. Don't panic! Try to keep calm and continue doing what you are able. Would you like me to search for the nearest 24 hospital for you?

Hi there- just wanted to check in and see how it went with Charlie?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Rebekah Kane