Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Last night I noticed both my small poodles reeked of onions.

Customer Question

Last night I noticed both my small poodles reeked of onions. I am allergic, so there are neve any on our home. Today I found 3 large onions with tops in our fenced dog pen area. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Probably there is no need to do anything other than remove the onions from where the dogs have access and keep an eye on them for any adverse effects. It is very encouraging that they are acting normally at present, the chances are they have just been playing about with the onions rather than consuming any significant amount. Dogs will not normally like the taste of raw onions, problems usually occur when they consume them in meat stews etc.

2. Onions can be toxic to dogs however it actually takes quite a lot of onions to be toxic to dogs, the rule of thumb which I personally apply is that a single meal of one pound of onions can be dangerous to a 15 pound dog.

3. Here is a link to an accurate article that covers onion toxicity in more depth including expected symptoms : LINK

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your dogs are getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the onions ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.