Jennifer Welsh
Jennifer Welsh,
Experience:  Veterinarian at Banfield Pet Hospital

I have a healthy 4yr old labradoodle. First time ever we

Customer Question

I have a healthy 4yr old labradoodle. First time ever we have had fireworks in our neighborhood. She's panting,shaking,shivering. I heard Benadryl might help. Please advise
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jennifer Welsh replied 3 months ago.

Hello! I am Dr Welsh and I am happy to help with your questions today. I am sorry that your poor pup is having trouble. Mine is the same way, so I understand how heartbreaking it is!
You are right with trying to drown it out. As loud as you can make the tv to drown it out, using white noise in the background (fan, humidifier, etc).
try working on tricks to distract her from the noises.
some people have used ear muffs or the gun range muffs if they will leave it on.
you can try benadryl but not sure if it will work or not at this point, but wouldn't hurt to try. if you can give me her weight i can give you a dose

don't swaddle her tho because that will encourage the behavior. you can sit with her but don't coddle or say "oh its ok your are ok, good girl, etc"

put her in the bathroom and run the fan and water to drown it out

last resort, last year I loaded my dog up and took her to sonic out of town and we shared a small ice cream cone until the fireworks were over.

tomorrow you can contact your vet for something a little stronger then benadryl (trazodone is my go to drug) as you know how people are and continue lighting off days after.

if you will provide her weight I can give you a benadryl dose

you can give a little peanut butter in something that she has to lick and work to get out

if there isn't anything else i can help you with, I wish you the best of luck

Thank you for reaching out today. I hope that I have answered your questions completely. If you are happy with my service, please provide a rating when you exit so that the website can compensate me for our time (3* or higher). If you are having difficulties with the site rating, you can type excellent,good,fair. If you are not satisfied, I'd be happy to continue our conversation.