Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Severe anxiety, ace at 75mg tab and 3ml liquid isn't phasing

Customer Question

Severe anxiety, ace at 75mg tab and 3ml liquid isn't phasing him. 86lb pitbull. He's destroying home, eating doorknobs, hurting self. We are stuck in room with him. Other dogs reacting so have to separate. Loud whining. Went to our vet. Said no other option. Have Prozac yesterday but sent home wrong med, Eldepryl, which is MAOI and not SSRI. I have 1mg xanax. Can i give? If so, how dispensed until i can call vet tomorrow
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Vet?
Customer: He metabolizes fast. The ace doesn't seem to phase him. He learned to fight through it. Her is only wobbly
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. How old is Vet?
Customer: My boy is going to be 7 this month. He's very healthy. He is s show dog, champion bloodline. Well cared for
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I am happy to help. I'd like to ask a few more questions to better assess what is going on.

1. Is the anxiety constant? Or just due to fireworks right now?

2. You mentioned a liquid, what medications is it?

3. To clarify, you and your vet discussed starting Prozac for long term anxiety control, but the wrong medication was sent home?

4. Has blood work been done to make sure there is no underlying medical reason for the anxiety?

Thank you, ***** ***** forward to helping you

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it's consistent and wrong meds sent home liquid acepromazine tried first then pill form at 25mg up to 3 tabs for sedation. No medical issues, full exam done. Anxiety is far more exacerbated by fireworks. His distress level is very serious
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Up to 3ml liquid 500mg/50ml

Poor guy, I'm sorry he is so stressed! Behavior cases can be tricky and it takes patience to find the right combo to help him, especially when things are being destroyed. You have to be careful mixing Alprazolam with Acepromazine, you can see one of two outcomes. They typically work synergistically together, so you use lower doses of each when combined. I have also seen dogs have a paradoxical reaction to both, meaning instead of decreasing anxiety, they are worse and very hyper-excitable. Is it possible this happened with the 75 mg ace dose?

Since Alprazolam is a controlled substance and I have not performed an exam on him, I cannot, by law, give you a recommendation on using it. You are pretty much maxed out on the Acepromazine dose. If you elect to try the Alprazolam, just watch for marked sedation.

If lab work has not been done, I would still recommend it to make sure there are no underlying endocrine causes for the anxiety. I would also encourage finding a behaviorist near you for a more thorough work up and the ability to discuss behavior modification and desensitization to the source of his anxiety (most likely separation anxiety given breed, they are really attached to their people!).

If I have answered your questions, please kindly rate me. If I have not, please reply back and I am happy to answer additional questions.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My answer was not answered. I am not using the acepromazine due to its ineffectiveness. Just wanted to know dosage for xanax in 86lb dog.

Unfortunately, it is illegal for any veterinarian that has not examined your pet to give you dosages for a controlled substance like Xanax. It would cause the loss of our DEA license. I will opt out for you.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'll follow up for Christi Belew for you. There's a way around that restriction. While I can't prescribe alprazolam to your dog through this venue, I can tell you that I might prescribe alprazolam (Xanax) to an 86 lb dog at a dose of 0.01 - 0.025 mg/lb 2-4 times daily as needed and it should be given 30 - 60 minutes in advance of the expected trigger. That would be equivalent to approximately 1 - 2.25 mg 2-4 times daily. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you very much. I already have it. We just need to get through tonight. You help is much appreciated

You're quite welcome. That's quite a handful of dog to be so anxious.