Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Vomiting, not eating or drinking and is losing weight. It

Customer Question

Vomiting, not eating or drinking and is losing weight. It been about 36 hours and I am scared. My income is meager and I can't afford to take him to a Vet. I truly hope this is a true chat because I truly need help. Please.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Since I can't see and examine him, more information will be helpful. How old is he, and what breed of dog? If you look at his gums, are they pink or do they seem pale?

Will he take in any water or liquids at all? If not, he may be dehydrated after 36 hours.

Could he have eaten anything he should not, drugs or toxins? A toy or something that could cause a blockage?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
He is a Dachshund Chihuahua mix and he is 1.5 yrs old. His gums look pale and it is possible he may have swallowed something, but I also heard that it could be a fatty meal that caused this affect. Is there any way you can tell whether it is one or the other? I felt his belly and I didn't feel anything, but I am no expert.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Has he had his vaccinations for distemper and parvovirus?

A fatty meal can cause pancreatitis, which can cause vomiting, but we do not usually see pancreatitis in dogs this young.

If his gums are pale, I am very concerned. He could have a blockage, or if he is not vaccinated, a serious infection such as parvovirus. Pale gums are an indication he could be dehydrated, seriously ill, or bleeding internally.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am very sorry to say that he sounds like he needs more than home care or home remedies. If my own dog was vomiting and had pale gums, I would be at the clinic getting Xrays and blood tests, giving IV fluids, and pain medication (pale gums can also be from pain). It is hard to treat a dog that is vomiting at home, since anything you give by mouth like the fluids he really needs, may be vomited back up.

If going to a veterinarian is not possible, try to get small amounts of water or broth into him. You can try Pepcid, famotidine, for vomiting; how much does he weigh?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

How is he doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I did not hear back from you; how is he doing? I hope you were able to see my response to your question. Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.