Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog has had a hard, pink bump on s shoulder some time. It

Customer Question

My dog has had a hard, pink bump on his shoulder for quite some time. It has not changed color, size, or appearance until now. It's starting to get black and scabby?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your dog?
Customer: Read above
JA: Where does your dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He's not hurt, I'm just concerned that the bump is changing appearance
JA: OK. No obvious pain. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: Just that it's been there forever and only changed in color noticeably today
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dog. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Usually bumps like this are not serious, but the only way to know what any lump or bump is, if it is cancer and if it is a concern, is to do FNA or Fine Needle Aspiration. A sterile hollow needle is placed gently into the lump, to get cells to examine under a microscope. If abnormal cells are seen, it is probably not cancer. If abnormal cells are seen, it should be removed.

Can you post a picture of the bump here?

We do worry about lumps and bumps that change, so I can understand your concern. However, dogs often get firm pink bumps called "sebaceous adenomas) that are benign. They can bleed, and get a black cover or become scabby, so this might just be an adenoma, but without being able to see it and do FNA I can't say for certain.

Let me know what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll post a picture
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Great!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Here is the bump
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Did you receive the picture?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Loading them now

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

This does not look like a sebaceous adenoma. It looks like a lump that is covered with skin and hair, but ruptured or drained and now there is a mat of hair and dried discharge on it.

It may well be a benign cyst, but I would do FNA to be sure, if this were my own dog.

I am in small mountain town with limited Internet access, and it took awhile for the pictures to load, sorry. Let me know what other questions you have.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

Can I help with or answer any more of your questions?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 5 months ago.

How is your dog doing? Was my answer helpful?