Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

I have a 3 year old chihuahua, he is super active, healthy

Customer Question

I have a 3 year old chihuahua, he is super active, healthy and happy but he started acting weird since Friday . Saturday my husband noticed the dog having issues puppies or having pain. Yesterday morning I noticed him a little sad and he was limping. By yesterday afternoon the dog couldn't walk with his back legs it seems like he is just sitting but it also seems like he doesn't have strength. Please help us out we love our little Dragon and we are super concern about him .
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is he not able to use his back legs right now?

2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing?

3- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1. Yes
2. No
3. He looks sad I try to feed him but he doesn't want to eat or drink anything. He is just hiding not wanting to do anything

1- So he is walking, correct?

2- Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?

3- Can you take his rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No he can't walk
I try but he is not letting me touch him

Friend, when a dog losses the ability to walk acutely this can be caused by many different medical conditions. The immediate concern is that he could have a bulging disc putting pressure on the spinal cord, this would be an emergency; the longer he goes untreated the less likely he will recover. Could there be other causes? Yes, he may just be reluctant to walk because he is weak or ill secondary to a systemic disease, ingestion of a foreign body, etc. to name a few causes.

Unfortunately in this case we are very limited as to what you can do at home. There is nothing I can recommend for you to give at home that will have a significant therapeutic benefit in this case, I am sorry. I would strongly recommend having him checked by nearest ER veterinarian, I would not wait if this was my dog. Besides a hands on examination he will need some testing like xrays and blood work to determine the exact underlying cause. Treatment will be based on exam and test results.

I realize that this answer may not be entirely to your liking, and I regret being the bearer of information that you really don’t want to hear. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me were I to provide you with anything less than truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
This fines really makes sense I paid $20 for nothing. Toy are just telling me something that I already know about taking Tha dog to the doctor

I am sorry you feel you paid 20 dollars for nothing. I will opt out and allow another expert to help you.

Dr. Peter