JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-
JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-,
Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists
94585309

My dog is vomiting up a deep yellow flem and has had

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting up a deep yellow flem and has had diarrhea for four days.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did your dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Im not sure but he has been around children and they may have slipped him something
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Giovanni
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Giovanni?
Customer: He has been acting fine otherwise
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Customer: He is now lying down behind the door where its dark
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 10 months ago.

If Giovanni is still eating, drinking and has normal energy, he can likely wait until tomorrow to be evaluated by your family vet. If he continues to vomit, won't eat, is acting lethargic or starts having blood or mucus in his diarrhea, he should be seen by an emergency veterinarian today. If you are not able to afford a trip to the vet, please let me know how much he weighs and I will tell you some things that you can try at home in the hopes that he doesn't get any sicker - Dr. C

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks Dr C. He weighs 14 pounds and one thing i als notice is that he seems to be breathing a little fast

Many dogs tend to pant when they have diarrhea- I think it's most likely due to discomfort and a sense or urgency to get outside before they make a mess. If he seems to be in respiratory distress though, he needs to be seen buy an ER vet ASAP.

You can try the following:

1. loperamide 2 mg by mouth every 12 hour for 5 days

2. Pepcid A 5 mg by mouth every 12 hours for 5 days

3. probiotic once daily (or 1 tablespoon of plain yogurt once daily)

4. bland diet of plain boiled chicken and white rice for 3 days, with a gradual transition to regular food over the next 2 days

5. pedialyte to drink as well as water to try to keep him hydrated and keep his electrolytes normal

Hope this helps, but if he is not showing signs of improvement in the next 12-24 hours, he needs to be seen by a vet

- Dr. C

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ok thanks much

You're most welcome! - Dr. C

Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r-