Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

She had acl surgery 3 months ago. she was progressing well

Customer Question

She had acl surgery 3 months ago. she was progressing well but recently had a setback. she slipped going up a step and banger her knee. I've taken her to my vets and she has been on carprofen for the last week, but still no improvement. could she have torn it again?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with the dog?
Customer: She is limping when before she banged the knee the limp had almost disappeared
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: Yup no wound there or anywhere else
JA: The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Coco
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Coco?
Customer: no just ned to know how to proceed and if I should be concerned that she may have torn the acl again. I'm taking her for an xray this week just to be sure
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 3 months ago.

Ah, poor Coco. Unfortunately, it is very possible that she has torn it again or at least re-injured it. Have you been restricting her activity as well? If no, I would recommend strict cage rest for the next 2 weeks, and ask your vet for prescriptions for tramadol and gabapentin. If she is not significantly improved in 5 to 7 days, Coco should be evaluated by a board-certified surgeon for a sedated orthopedic exam and likely, repeat radiographs. - Dr. C