Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have an 8 year old boxer. 2 weeks ago, surgical removal of

Customer Question

hi . I have an 8 year old boxer. 2 weeks ago, surgical removal of grade 3 mast cell from her back,(good margins).
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: geez you type fast! "Lola" she has a "bum " rt knee and her left leg does most of the work. I found a cranberry size bumpattached to her tendon on her left leg back above her "knee"
JA: Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: she gets a large blister between toes on left foot but currently looks clear- also just finished cipro course
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I think health wise just the recent mast cell, and that she is dependent on this back leg , is about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 5 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear that sweet Lola has many issues. The removal of the Mast Cell tumor, even though there were good margins, could be in other places so this is something your vet will want to monitor closely. It is not unusual, especially in Boxers, to have many benign skin tumors which I believe you are speaking about and most do not require excision unless they grow large enough to interfere with function. As far as Lola's knee, there may be a surgical procedure to fix this but she probably does have some arthritis. For now, you can give Lola aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs for 5-7 days when she has bad days and be sure to give her a daily supplement of Glucosamine/Chondroitin , available at the pet store, to give lubrication to her joints and decrease her discomfort.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta