Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Salkin, I had written to you a few months ago about my

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Salkin,
I had written to you a few months ago about my labrodor retriver, Prince, who suffered from an episode of idiopathic pericardial effusion (he's had two in the past both 18 months apart). Unfortunately, he is not experiencing a third episode almost 6 months after his previous one. The vet has suggested that we correctively treat it this time with a pericardiectomy. Unfortunately, there is no facility for the procedure to he done through thoracoscopy in Dubai so the vet suggests that it has to be done in the traditional way as an open chest surgery. I am however extremely apprehensive about this and want to make sure that it is a safe procedure. What are the risks involved with a traditional pericardiectomy? The vet is an experience surgeon by I am just concerned because it is a heart surgery afterall. Are there any specific questions I should be asking my vet in order to ensure that Prince is in the right hands? additionally, how risky is the procedure in comparison to the thoracoscopy option? I look forward to you opinion. Regards, Malvika
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

Malvika, I'm sorry to hear of this with Prince. Unfortunately, I have no experience with pericardectomy. I only know that a subtotal pericardectomy is the preferred procedure if more than two repeat pericardiocentesis procedures have been required. Complications of a subtotal pericardectomy include pleural effusion, pleural thickening, and compartmentalization of lung lobes. I'll opt out so an expert with more experience than I concerning pericardectomy can enter this conversation. My best to Prince.