Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

Lab 9 years old. 70 lbs won't stand up. If we help her up

Customer Question

Lab 9 years old. 70 lbs won't stand up. If we help her up she may walk a few steps and than goes back down. She ate well last night but in the evening she started to pant. I figured she at something outside and would be fine this morning . She groaned off and on last night but moved only in two times from the hall to the den near my bedroom where she sleeps beside my bed. She does not have a fever and her breathing is normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry she is experiencing this, and on a holiday. I am very worried if she is still unable to stand up and walk. There are several possible causes for this ranging from a back injury (ruptured intervertebral disk, inflammation, infection), anemia (so internal blood loss such as from a bleeding tumor/mass or even stomach ulcer, although you should notice very dark/black stool if there is bleeding in the digestive tract), toxicity (unlikely but on the list), bloat or flipped stomach, and the list continues.

I wish I could give you something easy to do at home but this is one of those situations that calls for an immediate emergency veterinary visit for an exam and likely some testing to determine why she is painful and not walking.

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 5 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Joey