Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

The fireworks have my dog frightened really bad. What can I

Customer Question

The fireworks have my dog frightened really bad. What can I give her to calm her down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian & I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, if you have a local vet or ER vet that is open, then can dispense supportive treatments to calm her through this stressful holiday. Otherwise, you can check to see if your local pet store carry an OTC de-stresser like Adaptil, Kalmaid, Composure, Zylkene, or a similar product. Otherwise in a pinch, you can try a sedating OTC option like Diphenhydramine/ Benadryl (More Info/Dose HERE) or Dramamine (More Info/Dose HERE) as these can relax some dogs in these situations.

Furthermore, do make sure not fuss about her being scared and plan to give her a safe place to retreat to when the fireworks are ongoing. If you have not already, consider having that cage away from windows (where she can hear/see the fireworks -- an internal room is best) and covering it with thick blankets (to insulate her from the sound as much as possible).

Finally, just as a long term option, you may also want to consider desensitising her to fireworks in general. Its a bit late now, but there are noise/firework CDs on the market that can be used during the year to help her overcome her fear of fireworks when this time of year arrives.

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I was satisfied with my answer but it took long enough to make me request my money back because I thought it wasn't what it should be. Still not sure what I was charged
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

I would suggest having a word with customer service (HERE) so they can adjust that as you see fit. Though I would be grateful for feedback for my aid if possible. :)

Take care,

Dr. B.