Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC

My 1 year old Westie (16 months) developed a round red bump

Customer Question

My 1 year old Westie (16 months) developed a round red bump protruding from between his nostrils on the tip of his nose. It seemed to appear out of nowhere a week ago. It gotten just a wee bit smaller.
Worried about something serious such as Mast Cell Tumor. However, due to his age am hopeful it may be a Histiocytoma.
How can I can a definitive answer without incurring high vet/lab bills?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 3 months ago.

Hello Linda,

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am very sorry to hear that your dog has a mass on his nose. Certainly, mast cell tumors and histocytomas are the first things we think about when we seem masses that grow up quickly and change sizes. I would be very surprised if this mass were a mast cell tumor in a dog of this age.

Unfortunately, the only way to definitively determine what it is, is to either remove it and submit it for histopathology (more expensive) OR do a fine needle aspirate and submit the slides for a cytology reading - this is variable in price based on the lab that the veterinary clinic uses, but is generally much less expensive than the surgical removal with histopathology.

If it is a histocytoma, it should go away on its own within 8-12 weeks. So, it is reasonable to monitor it as long as it is not causing him any discomfort.

If you have any additional questions, please let me know.
If I have answered you question to your satisfaction, then please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.

Please have a happy 4th of July and if you get the opportunity to send me an update, I would appreciate it!