Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Our 10 month old corgi mix ate a Euphorbia obesa, baseball

Customer Question

our 10 month old corgi mix ate a Euphorbia obesa, baseball plant. She threw up her dinner, two occurances. We fed her more dog food, and she threw up three more times. Then we washed her mouth out with a hose. Her breathing is abnormal and ears and neck are feverish.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We fed her another couple cups of wet and dry food. Its been 15 minutes and she hasn't thrown up again. Her breathing and temperature seem to be returning to normal. She keeps licking her bowl, should we feed her more?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just discovered that she had explosive diarhea.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Welp, this was a waste of my money. She seems better now. Still would appreciate any information you may have. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner and I regret that my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't allow me to speak to customers by phone in this venue but other experts in this category may be able to assist you in this regard. Please let me know if you'd like another expert to do so and I'll opt out of this conversation. Please stay in the conversation if you wish.

Euphorbia obesa doesn't appear on any of my toxic plant lists but all of the Euphorbia species contain irritant sap and it appears that Mila's behavior was directly related to that sap. Her symptoms should be self-limiting and no lasting adverse effects expected. There is no specific antidote nor a need for one. I would feed and water as usual and expect complete remission within 36 hours of her ingesting the plant.

Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mila. How is everything going?