Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog ate rat poison - contrax - he threw up with peroxide.

Customer Question

my dog ate rat poison - contrax - he threw up with peroxide. can I give him charcoal if yes, how much he is a 1 year old boxer about 65-70 pounds
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 5 months ago.

Yes, activated charcoal is smart. You can follow the directions on the label or give 5 mL/lb (350 mL/11 ounces for Rocky) of a suspension made from 2 grams of activated charcoal suspended in 10 mL of water. That's equivalent to 70 grams of activated charcoal in 350 mL of water. That's a lot of charcoal/liquid to give a dog. Normally, I'll give that much through a stomach tube. You're constrained to give it with a poultry baster placed between Rocky's cheek teeth and cheek.