Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

1. What is the best way to improve the immune system of a

Customer Question

1. What is the best way to improve the immune system of a dog (Chow-pei, 2 years, rescue dog, have him for 3 months)? The vet said he has had a history of ear issues, and that his ear canal is hard. He supposedly has ear mites and maybe fungus. I am probably having what is in his ears tested later this week. You answered my questions about his ear meds in a different question. Will an ear wash with Vitamin E help his ear canal?
I am home cooking his food these past few weeks using the Dr. Becker's methods that includes vitamin/mineral supplements. My dog seems to have more energy. My dog does not like beef. So I do not feed him beef, and I do not feed him lamb or eggs because I saw a few research linking lamb and eggs to diabetes in humans. I do not feed him any dairy products. I mainly feed him chicken stew and he likes broth and the giblets, heart and liver also. I use vitamin mineral supplements and cod liver oil. I do not feed him grains or sweets. I use a nutria extractor for his veggies. I recently added again organic coconut oil too, and that seems to be helping him--I was using it about two months ago, but switched to organic cod liver oil. Now I use both. I also add doggy probiotics recently. 2. Is there anything else I should add to his diet? I buy his treats on the commercial market and they do not contain sweets or grains. He likes duck biscuits, salmon biscuits and chicken treats that have glucosamine in them. 3. Supposedly, most treats are like jerky treats and are processed at high temperatures--do they have trans fats then? 4. What are the best dental chews to use? I have a difficult time finding dental chews that do not contain sweets or grains. I purchased one product that can be sprayed on his teeth to remove plaque, but he does not like spray. I read that the elk antlers can also splinter, so what is best?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I do not need an answer right away, after the July 4th weekend is fine.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 7 months ago.

JACustomer, it looks like Dr. Kara has not been on to answer your question. Would you like to wait a little longer to see if they become available or would you like help from another expert? If so, I'll be happy to assist.