Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

He is 11 years old he has lost s sight and has become very

Customer Question

He is 11 years old he has lost his sight and has become very feeble and unable to get around easy and that's been going on for about eight nine months maybe and all of a sudden in the last couple of weeks he has stopped eating what he was eating he lays down to drink he barely goes to the bathroom he's got red diarrhea and he's been vomiting yellow foamy bile looking vomit and he has now stopped eating completely the last 3 days and I noticed tonight that he has an odor to him it's like it sour that's the only word I can think of it's not pleasant at all. He's been laying in the same spot for 2 days only to get up and go potty and come right back in and lay right in the same spot. So my question is is there an odor that they put off before they die?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. This sounds like it might be serious. I'll let the Veterinarian know what's going on ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: Yes, he is a Labrador and he has been on some medication called Meloxicam 7.5 milligrams for about a year now but he hasn't been able to keep that down for the last 3 or 4 days and his breathing is very heavy and he cops and then gags and then spits up a lot of that phone and sometimes he swallows it back down then sometimes he pukes it up but it's constant he does it all the time. Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner. If you would still like assistance, can you tell me:

Can you describe the odor? Does it smell fruity, like the diarrhea, pus, or decay?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

When you say his diarrhea is red, do you mean bloody? Any black material?