Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog ate a tablet of naproxen (500mg). I immediately

Customer Question

My dog ate a tablet of naproxen (500mg). I immediately rushed her to the hospital since I knew it was extremely dangerous and had them induce vomiting. Because it was done within 30-40 mins after the ingestion, the doc said it may have come out of her system (she had eaten several hours before consuming the tablet and even the food came out in her vomit). The doctor said he will still have to keep her in overnight on IV and give her meds to reduce the effect of the drug if any of it got absorbed before she vomited. Is this the right treatment? I just want to double check because veterinary care is extremely poor in my city and I have had several bad experiences with vets here in the past.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Marta Lepes replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I will help you.

Yes, that is the correct treatment.

Because the treatment was so quick she should be fine. But I can understand why he wanted to be extra careful.

Give me his weight so I can give you his dosage for hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My dog weighs 19 kgs. She vomited 2-3 times after the hydrogen peroxide was administered. How Long does it take for the drug to get flushed out of the system after effective treatment is given?

Things like xylitol (an artificial sweetener in gum and candy) chocolate, raisins and grapes are also toxins to dogs that require prompt actinion.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so much Dr. Marta for your help

The dose for hydrogen peroxide is 3 tablespoons in some milk or tasty food.

Vomiting should begin in 10 to 20 minutes.

If there is no vomiting repeat one more time.