Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

She was diagnosed with pancreatitis. She also has Cushings.

Customer Question

She was diagnosed with pancreatitis. She also has Cushings. She will not eat any food, but is drinking water and urinating. She vomits the water if she drinks too much at a time. She is a 10 lb Yorkshire terrier.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the Yorkshire terrier eat anything unusual?
Customer: No
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the Yorkshire terrier's name?
Customer: Samantha. How long can she go without food?
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Samantha?
Customer: She was treated and given IV's overnight. But has not eaten for three days.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Christi Belew replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I'd like to ask a few questions to better assess Samantha. You mentioned she was hospitalized on fluids, did she return to normal (eating, drinking, no vomiting) before going home? What diagnostics were done (blood work, x-rays, etc)? What medications were you sent home with?

Thank you, ***** ***** forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She wouldn't eat for them. They did blood work and a fecal exam. They sent me home with Metronidazole, famotidine and propectin. Since last night, she is now refusing water, and has been expelling the worst gas ever. I know she is dying. Her back legs are very weak. I'm making her as comfortable as possible.

I'm sorry for the delay in response! They did not send you home with any anti-nausea meds? Cerenia or Metoclopramide? How about diet? Was a bland diet recommended? Are you currently treating the Cushing's disease? Until the Cushing's is controlled, she will continue to have pancreas problems.

Hello, I did not receive any further response to my questions, can I be of further assistance?