Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog with a bad tumor and pancreatitis just ate a rib

Customer Question

My dog with a bad tumor and pancreatitis just ate a rib bone. I have metronidazole and cerenia on hand. He is currently on tylan powder, tramadol, gabapentin, and Prilosec. He is 14 and was diagnosed with pancreatitis 3 years ago. We stick to a bland diet. He has a bad tumor and has been on the steroids and pain meds for 3 weeks now. He has been doing great but I am terrified that he just ate a rib bone. He is fine right now. I want to know if I should take him to the vet now or start metranidozole or cerenia or Pepcid. I just want to get ahead of any problems the rib bone my cause... Thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 5 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- What do you feed him?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Royal canine Gastrointestinal low fat dog food boiled chicken with his pills and rabbit jerky
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, as you may already know the concern with the ingestion of a rib bone is an obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract. But, more often than not dogs are able to digest or pass the bone in the stool without any problem. Inducing vomiting is not indicated as the bone can damage the esophagus on the way out. Starting him on the medication you have listed will not help. This is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like pepto bismol.
2- Do not induce vomiting.
3- Change diet for the next 2-3 days to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or rabbit (25%). The idea is for the rice to help move the bone out in the feces if undigested while protecting the intestinal tract.
4- If during the next 2-3 days you see the following symptoms: lethargy, anorexia, vomiting, constipated or diarrhea, etc. follow up immediately with a veterinarian. These are all signs of a possible obstruction or perforation of the intestinal tract.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I want to know if I should administer metronidazole now? That is my question. And if not now should I wait till symptoms occur. And if he starts throwing up should I administer it then? Will it have a bad reaction with his other medications that I listed??? These are my questions that I paid to have answered...
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
if He starts vomiting uncontrollably should I give cerenia? Are cerenia and metronidazole safe with the steroids and pain meds I listed in my first question?

Do Not give metronidazole or cerenia if she starts vomiting. Do Not administer the metronidazole now. If she starts vomiting stop the food and water and all medications except the prilosec for 8-12 hours, seek veterinary assistance.