Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog was diagnosed wit pancreatitis yesterday. He's

Customer Question

My dog was diagnosed wit pancreatitis yesterday. He's had a fever for 3days. The vet never gave him anything for the fever. How can I get it down? Also she gave him chew pills as a liver protectant. He refuses to eat them even in his food. Any suggestions on how to get them in him? They're really big so I can't force them like the other pills.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

What is Ace's temperature?

What medication was he given? Just antibiotics and a liver protectant?

Has he any vomiting just now?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

103.4 he was given amoxicillin cerenia24mg denamariin he has not vomited that I saw this was yesterday and his fever is still going he won't eat but has drank a little water. Will a fever for so long harm him?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I would note that treating an infection will get the fever down. So, we’d want to continue to get those antibiotics in. If you are struggling due to their size, you can crush the tablets to mix with water and then syringe feed into his mouth. Otherwise, just to note, this is quite a mild fever but if it were to persist over a week we would be a bit concerned. Still, in any case, you could consider ringing his vet about a dog safe anti-inflammatory (ideally by injection if he isn’t eating) to bring the temperature down.

Otherwise, further to antibiotics, I am glad to hear that they are treating his nausea. Though if he won't eat even with the Cerenia, then again we’d be best to ring his vet about dispensing strong anti-nausea medication (ie Zofran, Metoclopramide) +/- appetite stimulants. Or you could try adding in an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Milk of Magnesia (0.5 tsp every 8 hours). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any other medications you haven't mentioned.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, low fat cottage cheese, or meat baby food (no garlic/onion) scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut and won’t upset the pancreas. And if he isn’t keen to eat these, you can puree them to syringe feed if need be.

Overall, your vet's treatment course thus far is appropriate. Though if he isn't responding, then we'd need to consider a stronger anti-nausea medication, gut safe pain relief (which would be ideal to have them add in since pancreatitis is reported to be excruciating in people and could be why he is feeling so unwell), +/- an injectable fever reducer to settle this and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Would a cool bath help get his fever down? Also he was prescribed Royal canin

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

I am glad to hear he was, but those other options are worth trying if he is refusing the diet. Otherwise, you can try a cool bath as it can reduce a mild fever, though only if you don't think it will be a stress for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

I don't have a syringe, would a turkey Baxter work if I'm real careful? Like I said these chews are big and even when I cut them up he refuses to eat them. What are they supposed to taste like to a dog? My daughter said she read to give him pedialite for dehydration which he was very yesterday and they gave him injectable fluids. Should I try that?

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hi again,

You can use a turkey baster and can even just slip it between the teeth and cheek when giving the medication (which will be better tolerated then wrestling his mouth open to give medication with this). Otherwise, different brands do have different flavors but most will be meaty or malty flavored for dogs. Of course, if he is still nauseous and feeling unwell that may not be tempting enough for him.

Take care,

Dr. B.