Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

I have a 9 yr old Shih tzu and she is mopping around house.

Customer Question

I have a 9 yr old Shih tzu and she is mopping around house. Since late Dec she was spayed and had an ivory to check a kidney and test came back fine. She did have low blood sugar once while she was with them but not since. She is very unsettled and difficulty going up and down stairs. These symptoms come and go. What could it be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 10 months ago.

Good Afternoon and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear about your sweet Diamond's condition....

Most likely Diamond has suffered an injury to a disc in her back or has aggravated an already present arthritis. This is very common in older shih tzu's because of their conformation. Since Diamond does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this pain. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when she jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way. The best thing you can do for now as long as Diamond is eating, is to give him aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. The low dose Bayer is 81 mg each so this may be the correct dose for Diamond. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this pain and start to stabilize this disc or decrease the arthritis pain. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize. It is best to have your vet examine Diamond to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate. It is a good idea to give the apple juice or Karo Syrup in case of low blood sugar but this does not seem likely.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.
Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Diamond. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta