Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

Constipation due to whip worm infestation. He's already on

Customer Question

constipation due to whip worm infestation. He's already on the treating medication, but isn't having stools
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Majik and 8 years Lab-Newfie mix
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Majika?
Customer: Seizure disorder on Phenobarb and hypothyroid, also on meds
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

The hallmark chief complaint in dogs with whipworms are clinical signs of large-bowel diarrhea: freqeunt, urgent defecation of loose or watery feces, possibly containing mucus or fresh blood (hematochezia). Tenesmus (straining) and flatulence are possible. You may be confusing straining for constipation or if she isn't even trying to defecate, there isn't enough stool formed after she has suffered diarrhea to stimulate defecation. You mustn't administer laxatives to these dogs unless constipation can be proven by abdominal palpation and/or abdominal X-rays.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.