Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Fireworks and rain are causing my wheaten to be nearly

Customer Question

Fireworks and rain are causing my wheaten to be nearly hysterical. Can I give him 1 mg of alprazolam with 25 mg if trazodonr?
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He is panting, trembling, hiding, and appears to be " sweaty".
JA: Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Mac and he is 8 years old. This time of year is getting worse and worse for him.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Mac?
Customer: No he is happy and well adjusted normally.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Those are good drugs to consider but just one at a time should be administered to see how Mac reacts to them. I dose alprazolam (my preference) at 0.01 - 0.025 mg/lb up to 2-4 times daily. If used for acute phobias such as fireworks and thunderstorms, it should be given in advance (30-60 minutes) of the expected trigger.

Trazadone can be be given to address anxiety-related disorders. It appears to be safe but the adverse effect profile isn't well known in dogs. Dosing is variable but usually recommended at:

25 mg for dogs under 5 lbs, 50 mg for dogs between 5-10 lbs, 100 mg for dogs between 10-20 lbs+ and dosing can be repeated at 12-24 hour intervals.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.