PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog ate a box cutter razor my boyfriend left on the

Customer Question

My dog ate a box cutter razor my boyfriend left on the counter, what do I do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Gracie, she's 3 years old, she's a German rotweiller
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Gracie?
Customer: No maam. I've been keeping an eye on her. Havent seen any lacerations in her mouth from it and there's no blood anywhere. Just worried.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 8 months ago.

When was this razor eaten?

Is she eating and drinking still?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
she's still eating and drinking. It was almost an hour ago

I would absolutely not delay and take her to the ER. Although she is doing well at this time, not enough time has elapsed for the razor to have caused major issues for her.

Our biggest concern is that as it makes its way through the body it will slowly lacerate her intestines as it goes. This is absolutely a life-threatening risk.

Very few razors, especially if they are fresh razors, make it out of the body without causing major problems for the dogs or, ultimately, claiming their life.

In your position, I would not delay and go directly to the ER. She will most likely need to have surgery to remove this and limit the risk of injury to her intestines. If you need help finding and ER location close to you, please post back your city, state and zip code. I'll be right here waiting to help, if you need it.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had regarding your companion? If you have other questions, please reply and I’ll help you further.

Once you're satisfied with our dialogue, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

Checking in. How is Gracie doing?