Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I'm wanting to know what the dosage dog that weighs 38 lbs.

Customer Question

I'm wanting to know what the dosage for prednisone for a dog that weighs 38 lbs. my dog was examined last week and was given this in case there was inflammation . 10 mg a day for 6 days.....she became very ill and ended up in emergency car with an IV for 24 hours and developed pancreatitis . We took her home last night and she still has eaten or drank. She did pee and poop last night and this morning. Had 2 bites of chicken this morning that's it. I'm a little concerned . I believe the prednisone has contributed to this but no one will verify .
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your dog will be able to digest that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: She was also very aggressive but seems to be coming out of that
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your dog. The antiinflammatory dose of prednisone for dogs is 0.25 - 0.5 mg/lb orally per day. That would be equivalent to 10 - 20 mg daily for a 38 lb dog. There is little evidence that glucocorticosteroids such as prednisone cause pancreatitis in dogs, and pancreatitis or a history of pancreatitis are not considered contraindications for glucocorticosteroid use. The prognosis for dogs such as she is directly related to the severity of disease. Mild disease without pancreatic and systemic complications carries a good prognosis. Severe disease with pancreatic (e.g., pancreatic necrosis, pancreatic fluid accumulations) or systemic (e.g., kidney injury, respiratory failure, disseminated intravascular coagulation) complications carries a poor to grave prognosis. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?