Experience:  Emergency Veterinarian at Carolina Veterinary Specialists

He is not really eating but drinking loads more than usual.

Customer Question

He is not really eating but drinking loads more than usual. He seems to be very listless compared to normal and is having problems with stairs. He also seems to be panting a lot more than normal for doing a lot less. He was in the vets about 2 weeks ago and had an MOT as he is nearly 12 and apart from arthritis in his back legs and having 6 teeth out they said he was in remarkably good health for a dog his age. T
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help T. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about T?
Customer: No, I think that is a good summary.. He is a lurcher and in 12 years through numerous injuries etc he has NEVER stopped eating
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  JACUSTOMER-2ggpt01r- replied 3 months ago.

Hi there, Did your vet run labwork at his visit 2 weeks ago? Excessive thirst and panting can be caused by a lot of different conditions, many of which can be ruled in or out based on labwork- kidney disease, liver disease, hypothyroidism, cushing's disease just to name a few. If all of these diseases are ruled out with labwork, the next step would be to consider chest radiographs to evaluate for an enlarged heart or pulmonary edema. If a heart condition is ruled out, other things to consider would be pain (from a musculoskeletal perspective), or perhaps even a brain tumor or meningitis to explain the listlessness and trouble with stairs. I;m sorry that I can't give you an exact diagnosis, but hopefully that is enough information to help you make decisions about future diagnostics. Hopefully, your vet can see you promptly. However; if you are concerned enough to seek emergency veterinary care today, I do think that would be prudent. - Dr. C

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am out of the office today - Monday 11 July and will have no access to email / mobile phone.I will respond to your email on my return, however if your query is urgent please do try and call me on 07798 643 414 - I will do my best to answer, mobile phone reception permitting.Many thanks and apologies for any inconvenience.M.