Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My medium sized dog approx 35kg is limping & wont stand on

Customer Question

My medium sized dog approx 35kg is limping & wont stand on right front foot..no obvious wound. Can i give her human asprin until we get to the vet tomorrow. If so how much?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Kate

I know you must be concerned about Bindi, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Well if symptoms continue then it would be best to have your vet check her over tomorrow as you intend to do. However in the meantime I can tell you that I have known some owners handle simple strains and sprains and such on a home remedy basis and report success. Many owners would try a few days strict rest plus an anti-inflammatory drug of some sort and then a gradual return to exercise.

2. As far as " human " over the counter anti-inflammatory drugs go you really just have one option this being Aspirin, the others such as Paracetamol etc. are toxic to dogs. On a short term home remedy aspirin would be much safer and more effective than the other over the counter human pain killers and aspirin is sometimes prescribed for dogs. A typical dose rate would be 5 mg per pound of your dog's body weight twice daily. The judgement whether to dose with aspirin is of course up to you but here is a link to a an accurate web page with all the facts you might need including contraindications : LINK

{ 35 kg = 77 pounds so the dose rate works out as { 77 pounds X 5 mg } = 385 mg twice a day. }

Also I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if Bindi's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanx i appreciate your good sevice

No problem, very glad to be advising you ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hi Kate,

I am just checking back in to see how Bindi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her limping ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.
Hi Kate,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bindi. How is everything going?