Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My 7 year old Cavalier Spaniel has not wanted to eat s wet

Customer Question

My 7 year old King Cavalier Spaniel has not wanted to eat his wet dog food for about 2 weeks. He is eating the dry version of the same dog food but will not eat the wet and is also eating cooked chicken. He has also had diarrhea. I have given him some flagyl I had on hand as well as Pepcid ac for the last 4 days. His poop is no longer diarrhea but is soft and gelatinous and shiny. Today I did not give him any dog food only some chicken baby food and chicken. Should I continue with the flagyl and Pepcid and see if he gets better in the next few days?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

In regards ***** ***** question, if his diarrhea is improving, then we'd want to make sure we give a full course of the Flagyl. So, if he has had it at an appropriate dose twice daily for 4 days already, then plan to give it for at least another 3 days. As well, consider adding some rice, pasta, or boiled potato +/- even consider adding some fiber (canned pumpkin, all bran) to the chicken you are feeding help bulk up his stools. And further to the antibiotics, you can also add in an OTC canine probiotic (ie Fortiflora, Bene-bac) to support his gut microflora. Otherwise, since he is still runny you could use a Kaolin/probiotic combination product like Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (all OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) to cover that base and also again help get those stools settled for him. Of course, if his signs persist after the antibiotics, we'd want to consider having a stool sample tested +/- a check up to pinpoint the root cause for this so that we can treat it effectively.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dear Dr. B, Thank you so much. Could I also give him a little pepto bismal? Or should I just add the rice, pasta, boiled potatoes or canned pumpkin and probiotics? Also instead of the probiotic - could I give him a little plain yogurt?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

If he isn't showing nausea/vomiting signs and is very loose, then you could use Pepto Bismol instead 0.5ml per pound as a daily total, but divided into 3-4 doses over the day). Otherwise, the other supports would be a good place to start and yogurt can be tried but the canine specific probiotics tend to work a bit better.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.