Melanie Goble
Melanie Goble,
Experience:  Relief Veterinarian/Owner at Renewed Strength Veterinary Services, LLC
94403761

My lab hasn't been eating week. I gave m a large pig

Customer Question

My lab hasn't been eating for a week. I gave him a large pig ear. I never saw it in his poop but figured he digested it. He had watery diarrhea and then nothing. I had a vet look at him, did a rectal and gave me pills for diarr ahead and Nassau. I am taking him back in tomorrow
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Melanie Goble replied 5 months ago.

Hello

My name is***** have been a veterinarian for 11 years. I am very sorry to hear that Bailey has been having issues. Based on the description that you have given, I am concerned that he may have an obstruction. Unfortunately, pigs ears do not often digest well, and can get lodged in either the stomach or intestines. When this happens, they will often stop eating, or will vomit anything they do eat, and also have diarrhea or no stool production at all.

I would recommend radiographs (x-rays) be taken to look for an obstructive pattern, although a pigs ear usually is not visual on its own without the use of barium (a medication that outlines items in the gastrointestinal tract).

If you have any additional questions, please let me know and I would be happy to answer.

If I have answered your question completely, please take a moment to rate me so that I may continue to provide and improve my services.