How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14581
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 37 lb spaniel just ate several wasps and the nest I had

Customer Question

My 37 lb spaniel just ate several wasps and the nest I had sprayed a couple of hours ago--it was pretty wet with the spray. The spray is RAID Wasp and hornet ... active ingredients prallethrin and cypermethrin. He drank some water and seems fine. Should I be concerned? How long would a potential reaction take to manifest?
Submitted: 3 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that your pup ingested a couple wasps and a wasp nest sprayed with RAID Wasp & Hornet Killer. I see that the active ingredients were prallethrin and cypermethrin. I have a few questions for you.

  1. I understand that the nest was wet, but was it fully saturated with the insecticide?
  2. How long ago was the nest sprayed?
  3. How big was the nest?
  4. Is he currently on any flea and tick preventative? If so, what product, when was it applied, and what are the active ingredients?
  5. Does he have any long term health issues?
  6. How old is he?
  7. Do you have any fresh 3% hydrogen peroxide?
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 3 months ago.

The dead wasps pose no harm to her.
There are a couple concerns however.
If the nest was quite large and he didn't chew well that can cause a gastrointestinal blockage if it got wadded up and caught.
The other concern is how much insecticide he ate.
The active ingredients in this product appear to be (it appears I found the same product):
1) mineral spirits - petroleum based product which will enhance the spray, but lead to the product being vaporized to some extent. Petroleum based products cause gastrointestinal irritation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. The bigger concern is inhaling them which can burn the respiratory tract and lead to a horrible pneumonia. Hopefully the nest wasn't saturated, and had mostly dried.
2) proplyene glycol - solvent, fairly well tolerated in dogs unless huge amounts are ingested
3) cypermethrin & prallethrin - both pyrethrin based insecticides, which as a class are fairly well tolerated in dogs. They are highly toxic for cats. Symptoms of toxicity will depend upon the amount ingested but these insecticides can cause side effects including drooling, nausea, diarrhea, dilated pupils, tremors, incoordination and in very severe cases seizures. These effects can show up hours to days later, but usually within the first 24 hours.
If he is that not on any flea and tick medication with permethrins as active ingredients that is good news in that he isn't being double exposed to to toxins.
If it was a very small nest his stomach acid should be able to break down that amount of papery fiber easily.
In all likelihood given those facts he will be fine.
I would gently rinse his mouth with cool water to remove any residue.
Then you have a couple options.
If he is otherwise healthy it is probably fine to take a watch and see approach, and treat any nausea with a bland diet.
If he shows any signs of tremors or lots of vomiting then have him seen and treated.
If you have 3% hydrogen peroxide you can give him 3 tablespoons, mixed with bread chunks or a little ice cream, then take him out side and run him around to see if you can get him to vomit this back up.
If no vomiting in 10 minutes repeat the peroxide dose ONCE. Then back outside to run around.

If he vomits then you won't need to worry about an obstruction or toxicity.

Once he empties his stomach to settle his nausea you can give either:

1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hours.


2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one half of a 20mg tablet per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.

These will reduce stomach acid and should help decrease symptoms of nausea and stomach irritation from the peroxide.

A homemade bland diet mix is 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger (or boiled, white, skinless chicken) and 2/3 boiled white rice. Give small meals several times a day. Feed the bland diet for several days, then if he is no longer nauseous and is eating well start mixing in his regular diet and slowly convert him back to his regular diet over the next 5-7 days.

Please let me know if you have any further questions